Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Homemade Corndogs

I don't know why but I have a love for corndogs and this is a great recipe for them! It makes a great summer meal and my kids go crazy for them - who wouldn't! Also I don't have a deep fryer beause my husband refuses to buy one so I just use a skillet with about a half-inch of oil and then turn out great! ~ Erika

Homemade Corndogs

1 cup flour
2/3 cup corn meal
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 pkg hot dogs
wooden skewers (you don't have to have these but it does make it easier to turn)
vegetable oil

Combine flour, corn meal, sugar and baking powder in a medium bowl, combine egg and milk in a small bowl. Add the milk and eggs to the flour mixture and stir just till combined - it will be thick. Spread batter in a shallow bowl. Insert skewers into hot dogs. Heat your oil in a large skillet (I use enjoy oil so it is about 1 inch high) or you can use a deep fryer (at 350 degrees). Dip hot dogs into batter - you kind of have to spread it all around until the hot dog is completely coated. Then add to hot oil turning after 5 to 10 seconds to set the batter (this is the only tricky part because this is what makes it round). Fry turning occasionally until golden brown. Then repeat with all the hot dogs. And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment